Oh my gosh I can’t believe that my life is so splendid!! Well, maybe not all the time, but it rhymes well.
So Joshy has been a part of lives for 1 whole month now so I figure I better write down some memories before I forget (b/c we know I won’t be starting his scrapbook any time soon and I tend to forget easily!)
Josh was 7 pounds even and was rushed to the NICU right after he was born. He only had to stay for about an hour. For being rushed up there for being pale (along with some weird fingernail thing, and a cyst) I swear the nurses put him in a tanning bed, b/c he came back looking as “dark” as that guy who does the baked wheat thins commercial…. You know that fake bake look?? His name slips me right now, but I will find out who that actor is.
Josh also had jaundice in the beginning which made him a yellowish color (once the fake bake wore off), poop 3 times at every feeding, and sleep like you wouldn’t believe!! The nurses would come in every 3 hours to wake me up to feed him since he wasn’t waking up by himself usually. They surprisingly didn’t send us home with a little light box thing though.
Now that we’ve been home for 1 whole month, here’s some highlights I’m posting so some day I can transfer them to a scrapbook:
- He averages 3 hours of sleep between feedings. It seems like 4 hours between feedings during the day and 2x he has slept for 5 hours during the night (what a treat for every one!!)
- For whatever reason, he would only nurse on one side. Depressed, but determined to not be lopsided and connected to a breast pump for the next year I went to see a lactation consultant! I called Family to Family Connection (a non profit place that was listed on my resource sheet from the hospital) and these people are angels!! They know their stuff! After 2 weeks of not giving up, he finally mastered the left out left side and now I’m feeling much better about the whole nursing thing. I was so close to just giving up and giving in to formula, but glad I hung in there.
- Still wearing Newborn sized diapers, but we’re getting really close to being in size 1! So far we have had no blow outs up the back or out the legs, but maybe those will come with time. Diapers are such cool inventions! They hold so much, well, crap!
- Still has his dark hair- very close to my hair color. We joke that this one is mama’s boy and Mikey is daddy’s boy, because of their hair color. Mikey’s hair was pretty dark, turned red, and now is blonde like those kids in Utah!
- Doesn’t fit in clothes very well. 0-3 month clothes will probably fit him closer to the 3 month mark. Although he’s gaining weight like crazy (1 lb in 2 weeks) he is still really little and drowns in onsies. We have soooo many baby clothes that are just waiting for him to get a little bit longer so he can wear them proudly.
- Enjoys sitting in the bouncy seat as long as Mikey is close by and entertaining him.
- Loves to be held and nap in mama’s arms, especially if I sing to him. One day, I seriously held him the whole day unless I had to change a diaper or something…. That was the night he slept for 5 hours. Coincidence?!?
- Makes the cutest coos and gurgle sounds. He said “hi” back to me once….. And thank goodness he doesn’t cry and scream as loud as he did when he came out! Oh I was scared!
- When in doubt, keep on burping. He takes forever to burp that you might as well let him fall asleep on your shoulder and keep patting his back. The little burp, or occasionally a very loud one, will come out eventually.
Looking back I would say it takes a good 3 weeks to get used to having a new little one around and get used to all that goes along with him- diapers, feedings, cryings, burp cloths for spit up and blankets for swaddling all over the house! We’re sort of in a little routine now and for the most part we all now what to expect from little Joshy. I seriously was thinking “what do I do every night when I need to eat supper?” I really can’t remember if I’ve been holding him while I eat, or if he’s sleeping in the swing while we’re at the table. It’s amazing how fast time goes by and how things around the house and dealing with the other members of the family all get done in their own time. Even though life will never be like it used to- 1 kid, sleeping through the night (sigh), a little more freedom to come and go when ever- I wouldn’t trade it for the world!! So far, so good in the house of boys and 1 gal =o)